Black tours, festivals, and experiences
The Black Heritage Trail of Beacon Hill is a free walking tour offered every day Monday through Saturday at 1 p.m by National Park Rangers. The tour starts at the Robert Gould Shaw 54th Regiment Memorial monument opposite the Massachusetts State House at 24 Beacon St, Boston, MA 02133. No reservations are required. The tour covers fourteen 17th Century African American heritage and historical sites in the Beacon Hill section of Boston. See a wide variety of fee-based tours listed below about Metro Black Boston and Black New Hampshire from the 17th to the 21st century.
Elmer Lewis Playhouse in the Park Series of free performances
Across town, a few miles from the Black Heritage Trail on Beacon Hill is a Black Boston community performance outdoor stage – The Elmer Lewis Playhouse at the Playstead, located in Franklin Park on Frederick Law Olmstead’s Emerald Necklace. Catch these upcoming performances.
8/13– Leon Beal and Friends
8/20– Motown Night- Featuring AJ Smooth
Sunday, 8/18, 4PM-5PM – Children’s Music Concert, featuring Karen K and the Jitterbugs, produced in partnership with Emerald Necklace Conservancy.
For rain dates and info, call Franklin Park at (617) 442 4141. The Elmer Lewis PlayHouse is a series produced by the National Center of Afro-American Artists (NCAA) on Walnut Street in Roxbury.
Tours and Activities for Booking
sign-up for dates and tour info
- First African Landing Day Virginia – 8/23 Bus from Boston. info
400 years ago in 1619, the first documented enslaved Africans arrived in Virginia. Later this month, the US and African Nations are gathering in VA to commemorate Aug 24th the day of landing.
- AboutBlackBoston Getaways staff heads to the Run and Shoot African American Film Festival Aug 9-10th on Martha’s Vineyard. Then we ferry over to Nantucket Island. Talk to us with LIVE CHAT. we would love to hear from you during the excursion.
- National Black Doll Museum tours, by appointment. See thousands of Black and multicultural dolls, learn Black doll making histories, discuss the process of valuing and appraising Black Dolls.
- Gray Line Boston – preview tour itineraries.
We proudly offer the world-renown Gray Line Boston sightseeing catalog of tours and day trips. Tour selections include Boston North End Pizza and Harbor tours, bus trips through Boston’s Colonial History, the New England Seacoast, the Cape Cod peninsula; you’ll tour and have experiences in fabulous Newport Rhode Island mansions and more. You can book a Gray Line bus seat direct with the booking site or call (617) 417-7456 for booking guidance and information. Gray Line tours run on fixed, weekly schedules. Prices start at $18 for a child seat and $40 and up for adults.
- We sell the Boston Duck Tour and other Boston attraction tickets here.
- Our Roxbury Trolley Charter Bus holds 33 and is a nostalgic, trolley charter bus for group rentals with driver and Afro-Centric tour guide.
The new Black Boston Deluxe Tour is an 8-hour riding, narrated and guided experience covering 400 years from the 17th century to today’s Metro Black Boston and its 340,000 Black residents.
sign-up for dates and deluxe tour info
Black Boston in 2 hours for two persons or larger groups.
Downtown (North End – ‘Little Guinea’) 2-hour walking tour,
Beacon Hill (West End – ‘Negro Town’) 2-hour walking tour
Black Metro Boston in 3-hour riding tour
covers the slave quarters attraction in the suburbs, plus North End, West End, South End, and Roxbury sites
Black Roxbury – Lower and Upper 2-hour riding tour
AfroCentric Museum of Fine Arts guided, walking 2-hour tour showcases MFA holdings of ancient African items, and contemporary African American, and Pan-African artists, including many who are alive and well and living in Boston or the world.
Black Heritage day trips in Mass or New Hampshire
- Western Massachusetts for W. E. B Dubois, Sojourner Truth, and the Afro-American historic Robbins House Concord
- Connecticut/RI – Amistad trip with Pequot museum (or Amistad to the Bristol, Rhode Island slave trading center
- Isaac Royall House & Slave Quarters dedicated tour.
- Portsmouth New Hampshire Black Freedom Trail – i.e. two anchor points (morning stop and early afternoon stop and back by early evening)
- History of Black religion (church tours in greater Boston)
- Events in Black Portsmouth New Hampshire